McKenzie Health System
President and CEO:
Steve Barnett, DHA, CRNA
HCECM Board: Vice Chair
Location: 120 Delaware Street, Sandusky, Michigan 48471
Facility Description: 25 Inpatient Acute Care Beds
Type: Critical Access Hospital
Community Impact: Employs 219. Served 25,573 outpatient visits and 390 inpatient admissions during the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2013.
Sketch: The McKenzie Health System includes the main hospital campus and numerous offices in Sandusky, and additional clinics is Croswell, Marlette and Port Sanilac. In 2013, Marlette Regional Hospital finalized an affiliation agreement with McKenzie Health System which started as a general partnership to share equipment and materials in 2010. McKenzie has a long history in the community--beginning in 1959 when a local banker and merchant bequeathed over $200,000 to be used to establish a hospital which helped the first one to open in 1967. According to records, 2,560 people attended the opening ceremony (the town only had a population of 2,500). The hospital has continued to grow and expand throughout the years.
Telephone Number: (810) 648-3770
- McKenzie Health System has been selected for the “Innovation in Value Based Health Care Model” award by the National Rural Health Resource Center for its progressive work in transitioning from volume to value. The award will be presented at the Critical Access Hospital conference. McKenzie Health System will be spotlighted in the Rural Route in November and the MI Rural Health Quarterly.
- McKenzie Health System’s Oxy Free ED Policy success story was highlighted at the Michigan Health & Hospital Association Keystone Center Safe Care Workshop in September 2014.
- The hospital’s primary care providers (Dr. English, Dr. Gormley and Dr. Merkler) have succeeded in achieving Patient Center Medical Home (PCMH) certification by Blue Cross Blue Shield for the second year in a row.
- McKenzie Health System is a founding member of a unique Accountable Care Organization (ACO) called the National Rural Accountable Care Organization (NRACO).
- The National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) and iVantage Health Analytics recently honored McKenzie Health System for “Excellence in Outcomes” and “Excellence in Efficiency.”
- McKenzie Health System recently received MPRO’s 2014 Governor’s Award of Excellence for outstanding achievement in implementing a replicable and sustainable healthcare associated infections prevention program with demonstrated improvement in the critical access hospital setting. MPRO is Michigan’s Health Care Quality Improvement Organization.
- In 2013, McKenzie Health System and Marlette Regional Hospital entered into a unique formal agreement to form a partnership to share equipment and materials to better serve the region.