ATTENTION! Veterans Who Have Been Exposed to Burn Pits and Other Toxic Substances While on Active Duty
There’s no deadline to apply for PACT Act benefits, but if you file your PACT Act claim with a Veteran Service Officer by August 9, 2023, you may receive benefits backdated to August 10, 2022. So don’t wait, apply today. Be sure to complete the Burn Pit Registry at www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/burnpits/registry.asp.
If you have had Toxic Exposures and have been diagnosed with any of the following, they are considered Presumed Service-Connected Conditions, for which you can file a Service-Connected Claim with a Veteran Service Officer.
- Asthma (diagnosed after service)
- Brain cancer
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Chronic rhinitis
- Chronic sinusitis
- Constrictive bronchiolitis or obliterative bronchiolitis
- Gastrointestinal cancer of any type
- Granulomatous disease
- Head cancer of any type
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Interstitial lung disease (ILD)
- Kidney cancer
- Lymphoma of any type
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS)
- Neck cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Reproductive cancer of any type, including cervical, ovarian, uterine, vaginal, and vulvar
Respiratory (breathing-related) cancer of any type
The link below provides a search by county to identify who you can call. There are also Veteran Service Officers at the Aleda E. Lutz VA in Saginaw.
Visit the link below to learn more about the PACT Act and your benefits.
If you are not currently enrolled in VA health care, or perhaps you did not meet eligibility requirements in the past, consider enrolling NOW.
You may now be considered eligible due to your exposure to burn pits and other toxic substances. This may qualify you for VA health care and other benefits. Once you are enrolled, you will receive a Toxic Exposure Screening (TES) at a future Primary Care appointment.
Ways to enroll:
- Contact Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center’s Eligibility Offices at 989-497-2500, Ext. 13120 or 13121.
- Apply online at: https://www.va.gov/health-care/apply/application/introduction.
- Apply in person at the Eligibility Office located at 1500 Weiss St., Saginaw, MI 48602, in the Welcome Center, or at any VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic.
You may find VA locations here: https://www.va.gov/find-locations.