Healthy Living Events Encourage Year-Round Health and Wellness
Sanilac County, Mich. – Inspiring healthy living throughout the year, the 2023 Healthy Living series will kick off on January 18! The 2023 series, which is brought to the community by McKenzie Health System, Sanilac County Health Department, MSU Extension, Great Start Collaborative Sanilac, and Sanilac County Mental Health, highlights topics ranging from first aid to winter gardening, “Puppy 101” to getting a good night’s sleep, and much more. All events take place from noon to 1 p.m. and are free.
Most of the sessions are virtual, with two this year taking place in person at Diamond Trail in Sandusky. The virtual events include the ability to watch via Zoom or call in via phone; they are also recorded and shared via McKenzie Health System’s YouTube channel and Facebook page. The virtual events also provide an opportunity for participants to submit questions and make comments during the Q&A discussion.
“Together, we have covered an incredible range of serious, fun, and always-interesting health and wellness topics and we’re thrilled to introduce this outstanding slate of events for 2023,” said Nina Barnett, McKenzie Health System Public Relations and Foundation Coordinator and Healthy Living Chair. “Our online and in-person communities have offered thoughtful questions, fantastic ideas for future sessions, and great interest in taking care of their personal health and wellness. It’s all about healthy living together!”
Community members can register for each free event at 810-648-6117 or www.McKenzieHealth.org/Healthy-Living-Together
2023 dates and topics include:
- January 18, First Aid/Weather Preparedness: Todd Hillman, Fire Chief, Sandusky Community Fire Department;
- February 19, Calming Anxiety through Mindfulness: Jacqui Rabine, MSU Extension;
- March 15, Winter Gardening How-To’s: Merry Martin, Master Gardener;
- April 19, Child Abuse Prevention: Stephanie MacMillan, Child Advocacy Center;
- May 17, Outdoor Cooking Class & Container Gardening Herbs: Merry Martin, Master Gardener and Kristina Myers, Registered Dietitian, McKenzie Health System – takes place at Diamond Trail, Sandusky;
- June 21, Puppy 101 and How to Make Dog Treats: Carolyn Crowe, Great Lakes K9 Obedience Instructor, Leader Dog for the Blind Puppy Raising Program Counselor and AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator; and Kristina Myers, Registered Dietitian, McKenzie Health System – takes place at Diamond Trail, Sandusky;
- July 19, The Signs of Drug Use: Emily Quandt, LMSW, Director of Human Services, McKenzie Health System;
- August 16, Preserving Your Michigan Harvest: Laurie Messing, MSU Extension Food Safety Educator;
- September 20, Organizing Tips: Connie Kramer, Integrit Cleaning & Organizing Service;
- October 18, TBD;
- November 15, Sleep--The Best Ways to Get What You Need and Easy Home Workouts: Jennifer Long, Director of Rehabilitation Services, McKenzie Health System; and Veronica Byrne, Physical Therapist, McKenzie Health System.
Healthy Living…Together is a project developed by McKenzie Health System in collaboration with the Sanilac County Health Department, MSU Extension, Great Start Collaborative Sanilac, and Sanilac County Mental Health.