Walk Challenge Raises Over $3K for American Cancer Society Research
In May, 225 individuals from near and far registered for the 2022 MRH 40 Mile Walk Challenge fundraiser benefiting the American Cancer Society Research fund. They each purchased a special “Together We Fight” cancer awareness t-shirt and began walking to achieve the goal of 40 miles or more. This event exceeded expectations of the coordinators and last year’s challenge total, netting $3,358 dollars from t-shirt sales and donations from friends and relatives supporting their walkers in this vital cause. We know that cancer is the leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 10 million deaths in 2020. On-going ACS Research is responsible for new therapeutic interventions and – is extending more lives each year.
This event was coordinated by the Marlette Regional Hospital (MRH) Employee Well Team and the MRH Foundation’s Community Relations Committee. After another long winter, these groups saw the need to challenge and encourage individuals to get outside, walk, enjoy nature, put a spotlight on cancer awareness and support ACS research.
The 68 participants who completed 40 miles or more in May and turned in their tracking cards were entered into prize drawings. Special thanks to our prize sponsors: Tri-County Bank, Summit 24/7 Fitness, Scott’s Studio, Wilkinson Farm, Mad Bombs & More, Frey’s Designs & More, and the Marlette Chamber. Congratulations to Lou Sauder for walking 160 miles and gracefully deferred her prize to pass it on. Brenda Martus was next in line, walking 136 purposeful miles in the month of May, she was the winner of a 6-month gym membership plus one free class, donated by Tri-County Bank & Summit Fitness of Marlette.
Sincerely thanks to our prize sponsors and congratulations to the prize drawing winners:
- Wilkinson Farm basket winner: Megan Web, 64 miles
- Mad Bombs & More basket winner: Lecreta Bowerman, 41 miles
- Scott’s studio picture package: Andrea Donley, 47 miles
- $25 visa gift card #1 from Frey’s Designs & More: Ashley Schram,72 miles
- $25 visa gift card #2 from Frey’s Designs & More: Lauren Bailey, 91 miles
- $25 Marlette chamber bucks #1: Kathi Keys, 85 miles
- $25 Marlette chamber bucks #2: Emily Losinski, 41 miles
- $25 Marlette chamber bucks #3: Tamie Culver 47 miles
- $25 Marlette chamber bucks #4: Jody McNary, 89.70 miles
Another honorable mention goes out to the 225 individuals who purchased t-shirts; to others who donated funds to include in our grand total; and to the 237 participants who were our cheerleaders on the 2022 #MRH40MileWalkChallenge Facebook group who encouraged our walkers all along the way!